Thursday, January 17, 2013

Kindle Serials

So I just recently discovered these Kindle Serials.  My roommate told me about them and then one of the books I had on my wishlist was one so I got it.  I'm torn between whether I like it or not.  The idea is that the book is broken up into episodes.  When you buy the book from Amazon, all the current episodes are put on your kindle and as new ones come out, they are downloaded to your kindle at no extra charge and you're notified via email that you have a new episode waiting for you.

Why I like it: It's like a nice suprise when a new episode gets put on.  They leave the episodes on cliff hangers and you're just waiting.  You can't just go buy the next one, you have to wait.  But when it does come it's so exciting.  It's also nice for someone like myself who doesn't have a ton of time to read during the semester.  The episodes aren't very long and by the time I finish one, the next one will probably be out.  Also many of the kindle serials I've seen are priced very reasonably.

Why I don't like it: When I finish the episode and there's no more out, I have to move on to a different book, but I'm left waiting, wondering what's going to happen...and there's nothing I can do about it.  I'm impatient I guess.  And then when the new one comes out, I stop what I was reading to read the new episode.  I'm sort of a completionist in that I want to read one book at a time and finish it and move on to the next.  I know it's ridiculous. 

The good news is the kindle serial I'm working on now is called the Immortal Circus by A. R. Kahler.  It is phenomenal.  I'm so addicted and unfortunately the episode thing is KILLING me.  I'm hanging on the author's every word because I just don't know where it's going! 

No comments:

Post a Comment